ECHA has published their latest weekly update (29 May).
Due to changes in the structure of ECHA’s updates, we can no longer link to updates themselves. To ensure BIVDA members continue to receive this information, we have opted to provide the full ECHA notification.
Our fifth report on the use of alternatives to testing on animals for the REACH Regulation shows that adaptations continue to be used more than experimental studies, with read-across being the most frequent option. In vitro non-animal test methods have seen a significant uptake in recent years. Have a look at our video for the key findings.
- Triphenyl phosphate (EC/List 204-112-2, CAS 115-86-6), added to the Community rolling action plan (CoRAP) list in 2017 and evaluated by France.
- 1,3-dihydro-4(or 5)-methyl-2H-benzimidazole-2-thione (EC/List 258-904-8, CAS 53988-10-6), added to the CoRAP list in 2018 and evaluated by Germany.
- 1,3-dihydro-4(or 5)-methyl-2H-benzimidazole-2-thione, zinc salt (EC/List 262-872-0, CAS 61617-00-3), added to the CoRAP list in 2018 and evaluated by Germany.
- 3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,8-tridecafluorooctyl methacrylate (EC/List 218-407-9, CAS 2144-53-8), added to the CoRAP list in 2016 and evaluated by Germany.
- 3,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,8-tridecafluorooctyl acrylate (EC/List 241-527-8, CAS 17527-29-6), added to the CoRAP list in 2016 and evaluated by Germany.
We have published screening reports on whether the use of pitch, coal tar, high temperature (CTPHT) (EC 266-028-2, CAS 65996-93-2) and Anthracene oil (AO) (EC 292-602-7, 90640-80-5) in products (articles) should be restricted in accordance with REACH Article 69(2).
We are looking for relevant information and comments on a draft screening report on:
- 2-(2H-benzotriazol-2-yl)-4,6-ditertpentylphenol (UV-328);
- 2,4-di-tert-butyl-6-(5-chlorobenzotriazol-2-yl)phenol (UV-327);
- 2-(2H-benzotriazol-2-yl)-4-(tert-butyl)-6-(sec-butyl)phenol (UV-350); and
- 2-benzotriazol-2-yl-4,6-di-tert-butylphenol (UV-320) in products (articles).
As required by REACH Article 69(2), we are investigating whether the use of these substances in articles is adequately controlled, and if a restriction is needed.
Have your say by 18 August 2023.
The deadline to submit information to the call for evidence on 1,4-dioxane (EC 204-661-8, CAS 123-91-1) has been extended to 20 July 2023.
Report for the following substance group is now available on our website:
If you have questions or feedback related to the assessment work, you can send them to us through this webform.
- 2,2′,6,6′-tetra-tert-butyl-4,4′-methylenediphenol (EC 204-279-1, CAS 118-82-1)
Have your say by 31 July 2023.
Five withdrawals have been received for:
- 3-(p-cumenyl)propionaldehyde (EC 231-885-3, CAS 7775-00-0)
- 4-isopropylbenzaldehyde (EC 204-516-9, CAS 122-03-2)
- 4-tert-butylbenzaldehyde (EC 213-367-9, CAS 939-97-9)
- 4-tert-butyltoluene (EC 202-675-9, CAS 98-51-1)
- Methyl 4-tert-butylbenzoate (EC 247-768-5, CAS 26537-19-9)
Commission decision on Union authorisation
The European Commission has granted a Union authorisation for:
- the biocidal product TWP 094
Roberto Scazzola appointed as new RAC Chair
Mr Scazzola will lead our Committee for Risk Assessment (RAC) from September 2023 onwards. He joins ECHA on 16 June 2023 to allow a proper handover from the current chair Tim Bowmer, who will retire at the end of September.
Mr Scazzola currently works in the European Commission and has experience on chemicals and waste related policies and implementation. He also has experience from industry side, where he has held a director position in the International Association for Soaps, Detergents and Maintenance Products (A.I.S.E), as well as from a Member State authority. He is Italian.
The ECHA Conference will take place on 28 February 2024 in Helsinki. Fill in our short survey at the latest on 1 June 2023 and let us know what topics you would like to see covered during the event.
EU Chemicals Legislation Finder
The Drinking Water Directive (recast) (2020/2184/EU) has been added to EUCLEF, replacing the repealed Water for Human Consumption Directive (98/83/EC).
In addition, EUCLEF has been updated with information on the: