ECHA has published their latest weekly update (29 March).
Due to changes in the structure of ECHA’s updates, we can no longer link to updates themselves. To ensure BIVDA members continue to receive this information, we have opted to provide the full ECHA notification.
Our Committee for Risk Assessment supports the proposed restriction on per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) in firefighting foams. The draft opinion of the Committee for Socio-Economic Analysis is open for consultation until 15 May 2023.
Safer chemicals podcast
Our committee chairs Tim Bowmer and María Ottati discuss restriction proposals of PFAS in firefighting foams, PFAS in general and aprotic solvents DMAC/NEP.
ECHA’s Enforcement Forum has agreed to run a pilot project to check for the presence of restricted perfluorocarboxylic acids (PFCAs) and related substances in consumer products such as cosmetics.
This report is the second in a series under a cooperation project with the OECD. It analyses a series of robust study summaries to see whether they accurately reflect full study reports.
Along with this report, a standard operating procedure for writing robust study summaries has been developed.
The first report was published in April 2022 and the final report for this project is expected later this year.
The programme for our info session on the proposed restriction of per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) is now available.
We encourage you to send your questions to us and the five national authorities before 5 April 2023. Having these in advance will help us prepare and respond to as many questions as possible.
Follow our webinar on 5 April 2023 at 11:00 Helsinki time.
Our latest report reviews the effectiveness of 55 extended one-generation reproductive toxicity (EOGRT) studies for identifying substances of concern.
(3E)-1,7,7-trimethyl-3-(4-methylbenzylidene)bicyclo[2.2.1]heptan-2-one (EC 701-394-3, CAS 1782069-81-1), added to the Community rolling action plan list in 2020 and evaluated by Germany.
We are building a new data availability system, with the new solution rolled out gradually starting with REACH registration data at the end of this year. Our webinar will let you know what to expect and help you prepare for the changes.
Follow our webinar on 19 April 2023 at 11:00 Helsinki time.
One intention has been submitted for:
- 4,4′-methylenediphenol (EC 210-658-2; CAS 620-92-8)
Three proposals have been submitted for:
- L-p-mentha-1(6),8-dien-2-one (EC 229-352-5; CAS 6485-40-1)
- 1-amino-4-hydroxy-2-phenoxyanthraquinone (EC 241-442-6; CAS 17418-58-5)
- Methyl isothiocyanate (EC 209-132-5; CAS 556-61-6)
- 4-phenylbenzophenone (EC 218-345-2; CAS 2128-93-0)
Comment by 26 May 2023.
- Melaleuca alternifolia, ext.  Melaleuca alternifolia, essential oil; tea tree oil  (EC 285-377-1 ; CAS 85085-48-9  CAS 68647-73-4 )
This harmonised classification and labelling report contains additional information not included in the original consultation which ended on 27 January 2023.
Comment by 17 April 2023.
- formaldehyde released from the reaction products of paraformaldehyde and 2-hydroxypropylamine (ratio 1:1)
- formaldehyde released from the reaction products of paraformaldehyde and 2-hydroxypropylamine (ratio 3:2)
Comment by 26 May 2023.
Commission decisions on Union authorisations
Commission decisions not granting Union authorisation for:
- single biocidal product Insecticide Textile Contact
- biocidal product family UL Hydrogen Peroxide Family 1
Commission regulation granting Union authorisations for:
Commission decisions on active substances
Commission regulation approving:
- ADBAC/BKC for product-type 1
Commission regulation postponing the expiry date of the approval of:
- 4,5-Dichloro-2-octyl-2H-isothiazol-3-one for product-type 8
Commission decision not approving:
- d-Allethrin for product-type 18
- certain active substances for use in biocidal products
- DBNPA for product-type 4
Commission decision postponing the expiry date of the approval of:
- imidacloprid for product-type 18
Other decisions on biocides
- Commission decision extending the action taken by the Dutch Ministry concerning the biocidal product Biobor JF
- Judgment in case C-147/21 concerning interactions between BPR and the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (TFEU)
- Judgment in cases T-122/20 and T-123/20 concerning non-approval silver zeolites
- Judgment in case C-702/21 P concerning non-approval of PHMB
Persistent Organic Pollutants
Comments are invited on a risk profile for chlorpyrifos and on draft risk management evaluations for:
- chlorinated paraffins with carbon chain lengths C14–17 and chlorination levels ≥ 45 % Cl by wt
- long-chain PFCAs, their salts and related compounds
Give comments by 17 May 2023.
EU Observatory for Nanomaterials (EUON)
The EUON is looking for topics for its upcoming studies.
Submit your proposal by 27 April 2023 and potentially contribute to the work of the observatory.